Monday, July 8, 2013

Upgrades and More Plans



Two things: I’ve bumped up my usual warm-up sessions (though I don’t know if I would call these warm ups anymore, they’re long rambles as of now basically) up from ten minutes to fifteen minutes per session and my writing yesterday went well – I finished off a draft of the first chapter and I’m now moving onto the second. I had some ideas kicking around in the back of my mind for a story relating some of the stuff emerging in the chapter – a small piece of the backstory I wrote – something that will start fleshing parts of it out.
It’s very broad strokes currently at the moment which, of course, it has to be given it covers literally trillions of years of history, starting with the beginning of that Universe and ends about sixteen-seventeen years prior to the events of the main story.  No – now that I think of it, it’s more like twelve. I covered all of the backstory relevant to the story I’m trying to tell. 

One of the good things about a giant project like this is that I can keep shifting gears with the current project and still be working on it – it covers literally anything and everything I can think of. I’m looking forward to seeing where it wants to go. The scope is certainly far bigger than anything I’ve written before.

My only quibble yesterday was the old procrastination problem – I did get my full hour in yesterday, but it wasn’t consecutive and the third part took place really close to midnight and the next day – need to work on putting aside distractions and just concentrate on writing for the time being. The trick is to find a balance between writing and other stuff that I work on for fun. I also really could use a cooling board (or whatever they’re called) for my computer, or maybe I just need to use some canned air on the vents, ‘cause I’ve noticed this thing gets really hot as of late, even when I’m doing something simple, like running Microsoft word. It feels like I’m burning my fingers – definitely not very comfortable to type on. 

But I digress. My plans today: maybe do something with the short backstory idea I had (I may write it as one of these warm-up sessions and post it on the blog, I haven’t really decided yet), and finish off chapter two – though I am thinking that the stuff from the short is going to come up again at some point in the novel.
I basically have a vague plan in mind for where the story is going but I’m kind of winging it. Details are still shifting around, while I get to know these characters. I’ll probably rewrite the first few chapters eventually, with more characterization but I’m getting the basic chronology down first.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment