Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Beginning of Something



This entry is coming much later than normal – I got sidetracked by various things and am only now sitting down to do some actual writing. Yesterday’s session went extraordinarily well – I started literally from the beginning of the universe and of time, and then marched forward through the history, establishing the beginnings of a very large, sprawling cosmology and metaphysics. 

As I said in my last entry, this is something I’ve had in mind for a while, but this is the first time I’ve sat down to articulate the cosmology in full, and I rather liked where it headed and how it turned out (though I’m not quite done with it as of yet, but I have established a lot of stuff, taking it in some very interesting places.). This universe turned out to be a very messed up place, it seems to be held together with the cosmic equivalent of duct tape. 

I have a few ideas I’m kicking around in my head for the story and such. I could probably take whole paragraphs of the cosmology and just expand upon them for pages and pages – I probably will, once I start figuring out what I currently need for the main story. Good backstory, good fun. I felt very satisfied in what I accomplished in my writing – there wasn’t any overthinking, worrying about small errors in grammar or logic, just letting it flow like it should have out of me. 

Tonight’s plan is to A) write this blog entry, B) finish off the cosmology for the setting and C) write a few pages of the first chapter and see where it takes me. I’m not really sure how long B will take me; I’m up to the emergence of the first major human civilization – it shouldn’t be too much longer to finish it. 

I’m pretty interested in tackling a few of the early chapters and start familiarizing myself with the major protagonists.On another note, I am thinking that I need to work on overcoming the procrastination. My idea involves adding another thirty minutes to my writing, but this session has to be in the morning – which would pad out my writing to a full 90 minutes a day, and would guarantee that I’d have something accomplished before the usual evening hour. (Since that’s when I tackle my writing anyway). 

I am also thinking about bumping up the time on these little blogs, from ten to fifteen minute sessions (though at the moment I’ve been doing two in a row – so you’re reading the results of twenty minutes of rambling about me rambling about my writing projects and so on and so forth.).

In any case, I’ve noticed that its hard getting into the swing of things after your schedule’s been thrown like it has. But I will beat it, I will get something of substance written.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment