Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Blog's Troubled Birthday



This is the one week birthday of the blog! Hooray, I have been a blogger for all of a week! Now the obligatory celebration is out of the way, I’ll just get down to it. 

Yesterday’s session was kind of strained – I managed to finish Ch. 4, but I don’t think it’s quite right and I think it’s going to need a rewrite. It occurred me while I was reviewing the problems I had with last night’s session is that the characters are flatter than cardboard cutouts – well, the main character might have a bit more depth, but the new sidekick is really dull and I don’t really have any particular ideas for changing things around. I was also running out of ideas for what to write and ended up working on some background stuff for this story. 

Another problem was that yesterday’s session was horribly fragmented – a fourteen minute session, an eighteen minute session and then finally a full thirty minute session at around eleven at night. I really need to kick this procrastination thing. I am thinking that I may take a short break from this story – just a day or two – and re-focus my attention on another project I’ve been musing about, an urban epic fantasy story with a dash of horror and science fiction thrown in for good measure. Then I will come back and re-read it and think about my next course of action.

On another note, I hope everybody who visits the blog (likely, not many) enjoyed my short story – I had a great deal of fun writing it, just the general idea could likely be expanded into a novel all on its own and I really would be interested in learning about Gareth, the Tomb Robber. He seems like a really interesting character. Maybe another contender for NaNoWriMo, whenever we actually get to that – expanded that little short to a full novel or something. 

I mean, the plot is already there so is the main character and the ending as well. We’d add more background info about who hired him to do this, what he was doing before and stuff, and some more stuff about the buried King – the possible mythology for that would be really interesting to write, I think. I’ll keep it tucked away in the back of my head for the moment – another project to add to the list of things I want to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment