Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Good Session



Just a real quick blog entry. I ended up working on something else that grabbed my attention, instead of the Tomb-Robber story – another old project that I felt like playing with. I wrote out the first chapter, will work more on the second tomorrow. I may sketch out a map tonight of the world, so we’ll see where that goes, anyway. 

Not much else to say. I’m doing a pretty good job, overall, of keeping up an hour a day. Today’s was actually consecutive (for once), so I’m hoping to keep that going as I progress in this story. Maybe tomorrow’s will even be a morning session (wouldn’t that be weird?). This should be fun to write, easy and enjoyable to immerse myself in. I don’t have much else to say beyond that for today’s updates, so I guess I’ll write a short description.

The Great Gates of Ithaal stood open in the daytime, simultaneously impressive and terrifying to look at.  There were five of them all together, gleaming archways of white stone, with friezes of ancient beasts carved above the entrances, invoking their power to protect the city. Waterfalls roared down the walls on either side of the gates, splashing into canals that radiated to the circular moat that encircled the city. 

A line of statues – protective lions and birds – ran for about a half mile down the broad road leading into the city, each etched with the carvings for order.  Battlements ran about the friezes, patrolled by guards with bows, ready to shoot down troublemakers. Beyond the gates itself the huge city of Ithaal sprawled on forever, gleaming domes, statues, tall stone houses and palaces and solemn temples. Wide roads led to plazas. Smaller offshoots led to quiet parks and meditative gardens. 

The great heroes of the city and the nation stood in gleaming bronze and stone. At the top of the hill stood the palace of the King, glittering spires and graceful towers arched into the air, flags fluttering. Birds wheeled around, dogs barked. People talked, laughed and cried in the streets of the city. It was a city alive and kicking.

That’s kind of a lame place to end it, but I don’t think I have much else to say. I like the description – I think I may this place somewhere (and possibly that description, I don’t know), but we will see when the time comes. For the moment, I have enough on my plate and need to quit piling more on. 

Aside from that, that’s really all I have for you guys tonight. Take care and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment