Friday, July 12, 2013

Last Night...



Last night’s session: I wrote a full hour and didn’t break the 1000 word mark. I polished off the first chapter and started moving on the second, but I think I’m going to have to start over, because I don’t think it’s working quite right. I get the sense that this – at least the opening – is supposed to be a quick overview of the protagonist’s backstory, and then a trial scene (since he did get arrested). I can see enough to know where that’s going. A lot of the dialogue and stuff I was using for this particular scene – in which he tries to fast-talk prison guards – I think belongs more or less in the trial scene.

Hopefully, today’s hour will be spin out more words. I also managed to write them in consecutive order: a complete hour last night without stopping. That makes me happy. That’s pretty much all I have to say for the musing over how the story is going. I sketched out a quick map – it turned out alright – and I’m starting to get an idea of the backstory for this place. Should be interesting to see where that goes. For now, enjoy a random description. Thanks for reading.

The yawning black cavern stood in the forest, stone and dirt floor sloping downwards, until it was lost into the shadows. It stood alone in a clearing, no trees grew immediately around it, for about a hundred feet in every direction, the ground was bare dirt and gray stone. There was something unwholesome about the cave, a strange, prickly feeling of unease. Animals steered clear of this place, dark rumors had circulated about it. It was an entrance to the underworld, long forgotten by the surface world except in the darkest of legends.
At certain points during the year, ghosts swirled around it. Now and then, it breathed vapor, thick tendrils of thin mist. Occasionally, or say they said, monsters and horrors from the Earth emerged from it, sent to do whatever dark task required by the masters down below. Many a time in the distant past, before it had been forgotten, men had attempted to destroy it. They had all died for their efforts. The entrance had been set there at the beginning, it could not be closed until it was time for the world to end. 

That was kind of an abrupt place to stop and a rather morbid piece to boot. Maybe I’ll throw it into my current project. We’ll just see.

No comments:

Post a Comment